If you’re the kind of person who is loaded with business deals and meetings, you’re likely not getting out of your business suit anytime soon. After all, nothing spells business and class other than a good tailored suit. However, have you ever gotten tired of your corporate fashion that you want to do something to excite things up? A good watch is the answer. That’s right; this small accessory can definitely elevate your look as a successful businessman. This article will show you how to make it work.
For instance, a study found that wearing formal attire motivates people to think more holistically or broadly, rather than focusing on finer details. This means formal attire encourages people to be more abstract with their thoughts. Likewise, wearing watches gives the impression of being hardworking, reliable, and successful. Even if the clothes themselves don’t motivate you enough, a good watch will surely make a statement.
Looking the Part: How to Properly Wear Watches for Men
Looking good with watches for men is actually possible, especially when you know how to dress the part properly. Even if your corporate sense of fashion tends to stick with neutral or “bland” colors, a properly placed dress watch or smart watch can make you the life of any business deal or meeting. Here’s how you can make this work for you:
- Define business wear for you: It’s important to define what kind of outfits count as “business” for you. For instance, while traditional business attire include jackets and suits, some consider “business” attire as something to do with smart jackets. Those working in more modern startups also tend to wear more smart casual outfits, such as a fashionable turtleneck or button-down shirt. Determine your business fashion style first, so you can much easily choose the watch that will match your taste.
- Go for analog watches instead of digital watches: While digital watches and smartwatches are “in” nowadays, try to make sure you have analog watches to rely on. Analog watches, or those with faces that have markers of the 12-hour cycle and matching minute and hour hands, are perhaps the oldest kind of watches out there. They’re much more formal and classic in appearance, making them ideal for both formal and business events.
- Get yourself at least two (2) watches for different occasions: Variety is key here, and while we’re not asking you to be collectors, it does help to have two (2) watches to add “flair” to your outfits. Try to mix and match leather bands and different metals for the dials. This ensures that you always have a watch to go with whichever event calls for your presence.
- Know what not to wear in a particular situation: It is important to identify what watch types are “unappealing” or inappropriate in a given situation to avoid giving a bad impression. As a businessman, avoid wearing dress watches with casual wear and racing, pilot, or field watches with business formal clothing. Black or white tie wear is the most restrictive; wear only dress watches for these attires. Sharp casual allows all types of watches.
- A case for black tie or white tie fashion: While we did mention dress watches are best worn with a black tie or white tie dress code, it’s traditionally a fashion wear that doesn’t allow watches. The logic here is that having watches – much more using it in the event – can be rude, as it means you have something more important to deal with than the event at hand. If your business event calls for a black tie attire but you also want to wear a watch, opt for a dress watch or a pocket watch, but only look at it in private spaces or in bathrooms.
- Be conservative with business dresses: If you’re opting for business wear, try to make sure you wear a dark and conservative suit. This “solidifies” your appearance, making you blend with the crowd enough to be relatable. However, you can still add accessories to your attire that will add a unique touch to your personal aesthetic. There is where a good watch will come in. Hence, keep your outfit conservative, but wear a watch that will impress!
- Classic gold or silver is enough spark to get attention: A classic gold or silver watch with a thin dial can be your go-to watch of choice for business events. These work best with conservative outfits, as they are basic enough to not grab too much attention, but also fashionable enough to gain someone’s interest should they want to get to know you more during an the event. This is perfect for most business settings, as this can essentially give you personality while representing your business.
The Takeaway: Look Your Best with a Watch
It’s important to understand that watches are an essential part of men’s fashion, especially in the business world. Knowing how to use these watches to look good and successful can definitely boost your confidence as a businessman, whether you are in a meeting or in a business deal.