What is a website?
A website is an online presence used by individuals, small and large scale business owners for showcasing products and services in exchange for money or commission. A website is also used by individuals to communicate e.g. chatting, voice calls, faxing, data transfer and sharing of information etc. You can also get more info here
TYPES OF WEBSITE
- BLOGS: – A blog can be paid or free built with either of the following: wordpress, Jomula, PHP, HTML .etc.
A blog is a mini website i.e. it is of megabytes and bandwidth.
- COMPREHENSIVE WEBSITE: – A comprehensive website is a large website with unlimited bandwidth and disk space. This is used basically by large scale business owner to showcase their business products and services. This type of website accommodates unlimited videos, unlimited information such as contents, products and every other relevant information.
Having a website or blogs has relevant impact to a business.
Advantage of having a website or a blog:
- it gives you access to reach potential customers
- it connects you to targets customers
- it positions you as a brand
- it exposes business globally
- it helps in building list i.e. enabling one to collect emails, phone numbers or any other relevant information of a potential customers.
- it automates marketing i.e. it promotes business using search engine tricks.
- It enables you to convert potential customers into buyers.
- It helps you to keep customers around your business .etc.
THE MAKING OF A WEBSITE
The making of a website comprises of domain and hosting.
A domain is simply the name of a website or a blog that ends with any prefix such as .com, .org, .info, .ng etc. there are so many prefixes base on location.
The most recognize prefix is .com, org and .net which serve for commercial purposes.
A domain name can be anything e.g. www.israel.com, www.israel.org or www.israel.com.ng
A domain name can serve as a brand for any type of business. For example www.Tshirt.com is a brand.
Hosting simply means the powerhouse of an online presence without the hosting an online presence will never be accessible. A powerhouse simply means a program that makes a domain name visible or accessible on the internet.
If your domain name is www.israel.com and you want to access it on the internet without the hosting www.israel.com will not be visible on the internet.
STAGES OF HOSTING
There are some things that must be placed for a domain name to be accessible on the internet.
Domain Registration: – To register a domain name, that domain has to undergo through a domain register.
Domain register is a company that registers domain names and also sells domain names. When you login to one of the domain register e.g. www.godaddy.com, you must first check the availability of the domain and prefixes
A prefix is a root of a domain that ends with .com, .org, .info, .ng, etc. there are thousands of prefix bases on the location or country i.e. a prefix on location e.g. Nigeria registered under commercial activities can be seen as e.g. www.israel.com.ng.
com.ng is a prefix. When you login to godaddy.com input the domain you want to register under the search bar it will tell you if that domain is available.
If your domain name is available you can click to proceed, Domain name prices varies it depend on the number of years you want to register and you can register for 1-2-3-4-5-6 years and so on.
If your domain name is not available on the search bar, you can search for another one base on the domain you want.
Now that your domain name has been registered you can pick either of the hosting packages for your hosting plan. There are two types:
- A reseller hosting: – A reseller hosting is the type of hosting that you buy in buck and you sell it to individuals or companies.
- Share Hosting: – A shared hosting is a type of hosting that you share with another server. Hosting can also be registered based on the number of years that the owner wants to register it.
This is a platform for designing and modifying all types of website with ready made premium paid themes or free themes.
WordPress has all necessary features for building, designing comprehensive websites, forums, sales page, landing page, blogs and merchant website or rather known commercial websites.
Word press can also be referred as a ready made platform that has all compatible tools plugging, themes for configuring and setting up a website that is free from security threats.
Virtually every corner of the internet has different security threats waiting to destroy any website, blogs, hack, spam, disengage.
Without proper installation and configuration of necessary of this plugging a website will not function well.
THEMES AND THEMES
There are available themes and plugging for any type of website; these themes help a website for displaying properly and for giving it better navigations. There are thousands of themes available on the internet.
A cpanel is the backdoor of a website this is where you login to carry out all necessary configuration and installation. On the cpanel there are various navigating features for designing website and configuring emails etc.
How to upload a website on a wordpress
Uploading a website on a wordpress is the simplest approach for beginners or newbie’s. To upload website on a wordpress go to www.myname.com/cpanel once it opens input your username and password and it will take you to the cpanel homepage, navigate and locate softaculous.
We shall finish this in our next discussion here…