Moving from one place to another is stressful for everyone in the family. One, everyone has to do some cleaning to segregate which items should be brought to the new location. This can be very taxing especially for families who own several valuables. Second, you have to think about the condition of your items during the entire move. Will your items be in one piece the moment it arrives? Will your items be free from dents and scratches? And lastly, you’d be exhausted in unpacking and arranging everything the moment you arrive in the location. These still don’t include the adjustment required from you so you can continually function even in a new place. Fortunately, there are moving companies which can help your family.
Moving companies are common to almost all places across the globe. Regardless of where you’re living, it’s easy to find a moving company which can provide the professional service you’ll need. If you need help with the transport and unpacking of your items or the entirety of the move, they got you covered. To ensure that you’ll end up hiring the best moving company for your family, consider the tips below:
- Determine if they’re locally-based: The convenience a moving company can give you is probably one of the reasons why you’re hiring one in the first place. However, hiring a moving company from another state from where you’re living defeats that purpose. How can you possibly hand out your valuables to them? Do you want to spend more just to have your valuables sent to them? No matter how prestigious a moving company is, if it’s not within 50 miles outside your home, cross them off your list. You need a moving company which is located locally so help can come right away. If you’re living in New York City, for example, you should scout for the best NYC moving company. Additionally, a moving company near your home makes it easier for you to visit the office if you have concerns.
- Check online reviews: A moving company doesn’t come cheap; it’s a professional service which will require your cost. And while there are many moving companies which promise you the “best” service, always take time to check online reviews. This is one of the best avenues to acquaint yourself with the track record of a moving company. You’ll know which moving companies are most preferred or avoided by the online community. And since most of these reviews are unbiased and based on first-hand experiences, you can use these as factors in choosing a moving company. This is also one way of protecting yourself from illegitimate businesses.
- Always ask for an estimate: The last thing you want to happen after a move is being asked to pay an amount different from what was originally agreed upon. This can easily heighten the stress and exhaustion you got from the move. Save yourself and your family from situations like these by always asking for estimates before hiring a moving company. You should also inquire about additional costs applicable to emergencies during the move. Know how much the amount is and when these are applicable. You’ll be able to plan your finances better when you have this information.
While you’re at it, ask what payment option do they accept. This is a common question which most homeowners tend to forget. You don’t want to use your credit card when the moving company only accepts cash, right?
- Request for licenses: Working with a moving company which is not approved by the state is not only dangerous but can also put everything you own at risk. Inexperienced and unlicensed movers might not know how to properly pack your glassware and pianos which can cause irreversible damage. Working with people like these during your move can also put your family’s safety on the line. Before deciding which moving company to hire, request for their licenses. They should be able to provide you with copies of the document the moment you ask for it. If they can’t, it’s a telltale sign that they’re not credible enough. And worse, they might even be illegally operating as a moving company in your state. This can result in an expensive cost in the long run.
- Beware of red flags: It’s common to see moving companies which have the “cheapest rates”. And if you’re someone who is either moving too soon or wants to always end up with a bargain, you’ll be tempted to hire companies like these. However, offers like these are red flags to a bad moving company. As a homeowner, you should be wary of these signs to avoid being cheated on. If a moving company demands to be paid up front, has bad reviews all over the internet and doesn’t treat you professionally, tick them off your list. You don’t need a moving company which will bring you stress.
- Evaluate customer service: Quality service and price are two of the most important things to look for in a moving company. It’s typical to want quality service because you paid for it in the first place. There’s nothing really wrong in prioritizing quality and price but as a customer, you should also evaluate how a moving company handles you. Do they answer your questions with respect or do they treat you coldly? Do they value you as their customer or do you feel like they’re only after your money? These questions are important as well. You want to work with a moving company which knows how to treat you well. This is also a way of getting that “unique customer experience” from a professional service.
- Don’t forget to ask questions: Asking questions to the moving company you’re eyeing to hire is critical especially if you’re doing this for the first time. If there is any information which is unclear to you, like their price estimates, for example, don’t be scared to ask. You should lay all of your cards on your table so you’ll know what to expect from their services. The answers a moving company will give you are also used to assess if they actually fit your needs.
Watch Your Steps
Gone are the days when you and your family have to do everything during a move. Today, you can be stress-free before, during and after a move – thanks to professional moving companies. They are experienced individuals who know how to handle your valuables well. When you work with them, you’ll be at ease knowing that everything that you own is in good hands. But don’t easily hire a moving company – you should be careful who you choose. Keep in mind the things presented in this article as this can serve as your guide on which moving company should you hire. These tips are simple precautions so you’ll get your money’s worth.